Join or start a tool library
Tool libraries offer access to a wide variety of specialty tools, recreation and outdoor equipment, kitchen gadgets, and more – without contributing to an individualist, wasteful and energy-intensive throwaway consumer economy. Tool libraries are also known as lending libraries or libraries of things.
- Find a nearby tool library with Local Tools’ worldwide map Find Your Local Tool Lending Library.
- Check your local public library: many host small libraries of things in addition to books.
- Start a new tool library with Share Starter’s kit Start a Tool Library or Library of Things, with tools and templates for nonprofits, social ventures, and public libraries.
- If you have tools you rarely or no longer use, donate them to a local tool library.
- The Thingery movement in Vancouver, Canada is a growing set of community-owned libraries of things housed in modified, self-service shipping containers.
- Students at Edventure Frome in the UK started SHARE:Frome, which rents more than 1000 items at a low cost.
- The Brisbane Tool Library in Australia lends tools and actively advocates for reducing consumerism in Brisbane and beyond.
- The article The library of things: could borrowing everything from drills to disco balls cut waste and save money? profiles a number of successful, inspiring tool lending libraries across the world.